THIRD AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH QUILT

A CANADIAN RED CROSS QUILT

Reset


The Third Avenue Methodist Church was originally on the NE corner of Third Ave S and 21st St in Saskatoon. This was a small brick building which sufficed for the congregation at the time (1908-1913).

The present day building was started in 1912 and the Foundation Stone was laid by David Lusk on 13 May 1912. The new building, named the Third Avenue Methodist Church was opened on 27 June 1913. David Lusk signed the quilt and you can read his biography here.

With formation of the United Church of Canada in 1925, through the union of Congregationalist, Methodist and the majority of Presbyterian churches, the building became the Third Avenue United Church.

THIRD AVENUE CHURCH

Right from the start the building was used as a music venue as well as a place of worship. The large interior volume free from obstructing pillars gives the building an outstanding acoustic quality. In its early days, the church was known as the Carnegie Hall of the Prairies.

Third Avenue United Church, 2013
Photographs - David March © 2014

The Third Avenue United Church closed in June 2018 after a final Easter service. See this link for a news report: Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.